Connecting with the ultra trail running community has been great. Jennifer and I have made so many great friends over the years and we are connected by this common experience that most people consider lunacy. The San Juan Solstice 50 Mile Run is a great event and my second time running it a few weeks ago was special because of all the friends with whom we shared it and the new friends we made this go-round.
I first did the SJS50 two years ago. Here's the link to that recap. This is the first ultra trail race that I'm repeating. Being familiar with the course helped with my confidence.
Here's how my second go at the SJS50 played out.
One of the highlights was at about mile 45, as I was just cresting the last climb, I came across a runner with whom I'd been jockeying back and forth all day and who I assumed was his pacer (runners can take on a pacer for the last 10 miles in the event). The pacer was carrying something out of the ordinary. When I caught up to them, he was already playing his ukelele and asked for my name. Once provided the required info, he sang me a custom hula song and I hula'ed for him. Turns out the musician/pacer was Roch Horton 10 time Hardrock finisher and his runner was Allen Hadley on his way to setting a new course record in the 60+ age group (which he just entered on the 60th birthday the day before).
Here's the cool satellite terrain video of the run from Relive.cc
Here's the cool satellite terrain video of the run from Relive.cc
Here's how my second go at the SJS50 played out.
All in all, things went pretty smoothly and I was generally pleased with how I performed and that I can say it was a fun race. A really cool thing is that Jennifer and I knew so many more people compared to last time. I got to run and hang out with some of my friends who I am very happy to say, I kind of kept up with for more than half the race! In the end, I finished about 30 minutes ahead of my 2015 time.
![]() |
| Pre-Race Briefing |
![]() |
| Jennifer prepping all my supplies |
It was great being able to do my early-season training out on the red dirt in the desert of Western Colorado until late May. Then had a solid 4 weeks back at 9000'+ in the mountains to get re-acclimated to the altitude. Important, since the SJS50 course spends a lot of time over 10,000' up on the Continental Divide. I put some pictures and videos from my training into this album.
The race went well. I was pretty close or ahead of most of my estimated times coming into aid stations, I stayed hydrated (it was pretty hot) and ate enough. No foot issues. Only blisters were on my hands from using poles. I used them quite a bit from 16 miles on. I need to make sure to tape my hands next time I'm planning on using them that much.
As usual, there were some snow fields to negotiate, but I found them less annoying than in 2015.
I met Anna Frost, the winner of the last two Hardrock 100s, one of the first two female Nolan's 14 finishers and overall mountain-ultra-trail running star. Very sweet and great Kiwi accent. Big Fan. AND she remembered my name during the San Juan Solstice 50 Mile Run the next day!
I climbed extremely well, which is important on this course which has about 12,900' total ascent (the Strava # is off). Problem was, most of the people I passed on the ascents caught me on the descents. I was mediocre on the flat and rolling sections and downright slow on the descents. I think it was an issue with my head more than my legs as I've gotten this image of taking a big spill stuck in my head. This is based on experience. Falls hurt!
It's a beautiful course in one of our favorite areas in Colorado.
Another great aspect of the race is that the whole town of Lake City supports it and come out to participate. The proceeds go to the all-volunteer Lake City Emergency Medical Services. It's a fantastic weekend!
![]() |
| THE FINISH! 12 hrs 41 min |
![]() |
| Day After Breakfast Picnic and Awards |









No comments:
Post a Comment