On June 27th I’ll race the San Juan Solstice 50 mile run. It’s set in the spectacular San Juan mountains in SW
Colorado and has 13,000’ of elevation gain (and loss). The entire route is 9,000’ and
higher, with about 15 miles above 12,000’.
If you’d like to sponsor my efforts, please donate to the TheJuniperFund.org. Please make sure to write “Trek8848” in the
“In Honor Of” box to ensure donations go to the correct families. You can also put "John Danese" in the Fundraising Support field.
80% of all funds will go to aid the families of three of the men (Pasang Temba, Kumar and Tenzing) who died in the first avalanche at Everest basecamp. Pasang Temba leaves behind 3 children, Kumar leaves behind 4 children, and Tenzing leaves behind 2 children. The funds will provide living expenses for the families for 5 years, and it will provide monies for all their children to complete schooling. The remaining 20% will go to the fund at large, which primarily supports the families of local workers involved in climbing and expedition support in the high mountains of Nepal who have been killed or injured in the course of their work. They have little, if any, safety net. Every little bit can help.
80% of all funds will go to aid the families of three of the men (Pasang Temba, Kumar and Tenzing) who died in the first avalanche at Everest basecamp. Pasang Temba leaves behind 3 children, Kumar leaves behind 4 children, and Tenzing leaves behind 2 children. The funds will provide living expenses for the families for 5 years, and it will provide monies for all their children to complete schooling. The remaining 20% will go to the fund at large, which primarily supports the families of local workers involved in climbing and expedition support in the high mountains of Nepal who have been killed or injured in the course of their work. They have little, if any, safety net. Every little bit can help.
![]() |
| On the left are Mingma (Tenzing's wife) and their 2 children. On the right is Kumar's brother. |
Since this race isn’t an official fundraiser, it’s very open to however you’d like to donate. A flat amount. An amount per mile completed. An amount per 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Or any format that you can think of! Funds can be donated online today. Or pledged for and donated after my race.
I’d like to keep a running tally of donations to date, so if
you are comfortable with it, please leave a comment on this post (either
anonymously or not) with your donation amount.
Please feel free to share this with anyone looking for a trustworthy way to support this cause.
Namaste,
John



22 comments:
Hey John - not sure what happened your website is broke. Speaking of broke. I am building a new house and still have mortgage etc on my old place so money is somewhat tight. But looking at the sherpas - I have a way easier problem. I made a token donation of $100, and will make a more substantial one in a month or so. Remind me if I forget.
Dude, this donation is very generous and will have a direct impact on peoples' lives. Thank you very much, you're a mensch!
As far as the website, sorry about the inconvenience, but have to blame Google on the belch.
Thanks JD. Nice to know the 50 bucks will go directly to the people who were affected by the earthquake. Keep up the good work. Thanks to Jenn as well as I know she works hard behind the scenes.
We donated $500 and are pleased to have this opportunity to get funds directly to those affected.
Thank you Jenn and John for setting up this account so that we can donate to those in need! We appreciate what you are doing to help those folks!
Hey Son-in-law! Great job. I am so happy to have a secure sight on which to donate so that we know the folks in need will be helped. My $250 isn't much - I feel like it should be so much more when I see how the Nepalese are surviving and making do. Dick has given a duplicate amount also. I think you'll far exceed your goal!
MB
Wow, thank you to everyone who has donated so far! Your generosity will make very direct positive impact on several families who have lost a father and their main financial support.
Let's keep it up. Any size donation is helpful.
Feel free to share this link.
What a great cause! I've donated $10
Just donated $300 to The Juniper Fund. Run strong JD!
I donated $50 in support of these 3 families.
Great to know this will directly help the wives and children left behind. I donated $100.
Tried to stir up some more donations on Facebook for you, but no luck. Andy and I just donated $250 to these families. Great to know this is going directly to some people in real need right now!
Thanks for providing a way help the people of Nepal. Good luck on your solstice run (super impressive). Best to you and Jenn
-Jim Costello
John - sorry for delay in donating! ($100) You are an inspiration - both in your running and in your caring. Find your HAPPY PACE on June 27th.
Happy trails!
Jennifer Allen
$250 is on it's way to Nepal. Thanks for finding this way to support these Nepalese families.
I'm touched by your generosity and thoughtfulness to support these people who really need it. I just heard from one of our Sherpa friends in Kathmandu that they just moved back into their home after 6+ weeks in a tent. They are keeping the tent set up, just in case, but are nervously getting back to life. The same likely can't be said for the less fortunate in villages that were completely wiped out and for the three Sherpa families we're targeting with most of these donations who lost their fathers/husbands/breadwinners in the devastation at Everest Base Camp.
We're just $265 away from our goal of $3000 now, thanks to you all!
You can add another $50 to the tally!
Thank you, Thotme for putting us over the top!!!
Just because we made the goal, doesn't mean you can't still donate to help our friends in Nepal. Anything helps!
Thank you everyone for your support so far!
Namaste
Hey John, GOOD LUCK ON Saturday! You've done a great job of fundraising! You can add my $200. to your total. love, Auntie Sue
Hi John -
Congratulations on your tremendous accomplishment.I'm sorry I'm late with my donation. I hope $50 makes a difference. Thanks for doing this and I hope you are recovering well.
Deb P.
It definitely makes a difference, Deb! Thank you for donating!!
Another $100 has come in. Thank you Marc!!
Post a Comment