Saturday, March 19, 2016

Hashing Out A Plan for 2016




Following-up on my previous post Why Run 100 Miles?, the next question naturally becomes, "So you want to run 100 miles, eh? OK, which one?"

Winters are when my mind starts working on the "what do I want do next season" question. By the time the snow begins to fly, I've had at least a few months since the fatigue of many months of balancing hard training with personal/work/travel commitments, the soreness of my last race has long since faded and I've had some time to reflect. I tend to start looking forward and contemplate the inevitable reality that I won't have my health forever, so my thinking drifts to what I want to do while I still have the capacity. December and January are also the months that many of races open for signing up, or for entering their lottery selections. Believe it or not, there are enough people that do these things these days, that there are now lotteries for those vying for entry to compete in these self-imposed torture tests! 

I have said that our Colorado experience had changed Jennifer's and my life perspective. Probably the most profound change has been--and I mean this in the most positive sense--to impart a clear sense of our mortality into our daily lives…to live consciously and with some urgency. My brother, Pete, often sends me links to extreme sport videos, like wingsuit jumps, and such, and suggests that they are things that Jenn and I will do next. Although I love watching other people do these things and understand the motivation at some level, I’m not searching for the most dangerous things to do, but rather the things that are challenging and fulfilling and that I would possibly regret not at least attempting when I no longer have the ability. Minimize regrets and seize the day is an underlying motivation.

The agenda for 2016 is what was on my mind over the holidays, while relaxing with Jennifer on the fine white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico at my brother-in-law's. 

A Great Place to Think
Since running my fist 50 mile trail race, I'd been comfortable with the feeling that I'm not interested in attempting a 100 miler. In fact, immediately after completing the San Juan Solstice 50 miler last June, I wasn't so sure if I'd want to do any more ultras. It seriously kicked my ass. However, once recuperated and after pacing Tom Schnitizius in the Leadville 100 in August for the second time, I started contemplating and soon verbalized my consideration to Jennifer. She knows that these thought processes usually take months to firm up or fizzle out with me, but as December came, I was still considering it. On the beach, I concluded that I had to give a 100 miler a shot at least once. I can't just leave it on the table. Minimize regrets.

But which one?

Leadville was an obvious choice, as I'd familiarized myself with more than half the course with Tom over the past couple years and it's a classic and made even more famous by the book Born to Run by Chris McDougall. But it's not a qualifier for the Hardrock 100, in case I ever wanted to try that in the future. So I started looking at Hardrock and Western States 100 (another classic) qualifying races. In doing so, Jennifer and I also figured it might be neat to follow in Tom's footsteps and target the races that make up the Rocky Mountain Slam. To do “The Slam”, you must complete the Hardrock 100, The Bear and two more, choosing from Bighorn, Leadville and the Wasatch Front 100 in a single summer. Not that I'd be able to do them in a single season without retiring from my career, but rather to experience the courses over several years. An added bonus is that they all are dual qualifiers for Hardrock and Western States, so I'd have the option of trying to get into either of these classics the following year, should I be inclined. So, I had an approach. Now picking which one was next.

Hardrock was out because of the qualification needed and I would not want to try that as my first 100 due to the extreme difficulty. Plus, I'll be pacing Tom this year, so it'll be a great opportunity to dip my toe in the water of that event and check out parts of the course, especially those that we haven’t already hiked. The Wasatch 100 is a lottery, so I wouldn't find out if I got in until February, which would limit my options of getting into other races if I didn't get in. The Bear is in September, which is normally good, but requires me to train hard through the heart of the summer, which is our prime hiking season. That brought me to Bighorn in northern Wyoming. It's in mid-June, which can be difficult because of snow we have in Colorado, which limits the trails I can train on, especially high up in the mountains and makes it a bit stressful to get into proper shape for races such as these that early in the season. However, this year, I am running an Ironman distance triathlon in Grand Junction, CO in mid-May. I have to be in top shape early this season anyway, so I might as well take advantage of it and do Bighorn 4 weeks later in June.

So, Bighorn it is! A 100 mile out-and-back route in the Bighorn National Forest with about 17,500' ascent. I have 30 hours or under as a goal in my mind, but who knows?? You can't get hung up on times in these things. Finishing would be a fantastic accomplishment.


The Race Venue - June 17, 2016
So that's the plan and how it came to be. Thanks for making it with me this far. February was the mental and physical start of my training. I'd like to post periodic updates to share my experiences and progress on this journey. My goals are pretty simple:
  • Be in the moment and enjoy my surroundings as much as possible
  • Appreciate how fortunate I am to have the freedom and health to do this
  • Minimize complaints
  • Train smart to avoid injury
  • Eat well
  • Prioritize quality rest
  • Follow my bliss


1 comment:

Kaustuv Baral said...

Superb write-up John! Liked the way you have planned for your next race..inspiring it is :) Specially liked your goals...important and effective..something everyone should aspire for :)