Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Bighorn 100 Thank You

I'm not sure how to begin other than saying THANK YOU. Thank you all who took the time and energy to share a part, no matter how brief, or if you followed all of Jennifer's posts leading up to, during and following our experience getting me through to the finish line in the Bighorn 100. If you peeked in any time on Saturday, you know I had some struggles for many hours and miles. I needed help. I was emotional and as close to broken as I've ever been. Sitting in the aid station at mile 66 at 6am on Saturday with a medic tending to my feet and Jennifer tending to everything else, she kept telling me how many of you were following, cheering me on, and sending love and energy.

When I finally left the aid station after 45 minutes of care and THE BEST Egg McMuffin (no Canadian bacon please) I’ve EVER had, I had a 1000' climb in front of me. That's actually good news for me, as climbing is my strength on good days and on this day with my high ankle sprain making descending very painful and slow, it gave me some relatively pain free time to collect myself, put my situation in some type of perspective and focus on what I needed to keep moving forward. It was then that I felt the power from all of your support that convinced my logical mind, as well as the spiritual part of me, that there was no doubt I was going to finish this thing. Logically, I knew I was not going to give up, short of some serious medical condition. I know you’re all kind and care for me and would not want to put a burden on me, but in some way, I'd be letting you down if I just quit because of pain and frustration that my goal time was not going to happen. Spiritually, at that moment, pushing up that hill, I opened up somehow to receive your energy, maybe for the first time. Maybe that only happens when you need it most. Dunno, but I accepted it.

So, when the trail leveled out a bit, I started trotting along again and soon, I was able to open up my stride for the first time in many miles and started putting down a handful of miles at the best pace I'd been able to manage since the previous day. Soon enough the trail forced me to slow down and pain got worse, but it was a great confidence-builder and was a significant time in my race experience. And I thank you for being there with me!

I've a lot still to process about this experience and will be sharing my full experience in a subsequent post in the coming week or so.

A couple final thoughts...I love sharing my experiences, but have also found that I have mixed feelings when sharing them. They are big things, I know, but they are almost purely selfish endeavors. I always like when some good for someone else can come out of it in any form. This go-round, my sister-in-law, Amanda, took care of that by starting a small family text communication asking for estimates of my finishing time and with each guess, a pledge to donate any amount to the charity of my choice. I’m very happy to report that over $400 has been pledged to www.thejuniperfund.org as a result of this! Thanks A!

And finally, one image that I’ll always remember is at the very start of the race, I noticed one male runner with one word written in block letters on the back of each calf – “FUCK” & “CANCER”. My pain was a pittance.


No comments: